What are the various requirements when enrolling in a bartending school in Wisconsin?
If you’re the type of person who plans on taking bartending as a career, you might want to attend a bartending school. Attending a bartending school (or even an online bartending school) and enrolling in several bartender classes is an optional choice. If you are going to work in run-of-the-mill bars and dive bars going to a bartending school in unnecessary, but you still need to skills of a bartender. On the hand if you’re going to work in like cocktail bars, high-end restaurants, and classy bars, then a bartending school in Madison Wisconsin, WI may be necessary.
Bartenders in cocktail bars, high-end restaurants, and chic bars need to possess excellent skills in bartending. Considering the kind of customers and clientele going into places like this the bartender’s services needs to be splendid.
Of course, it is obvious that these fancy establishments in MADISON will not take your word that you are excellent at bartending. They will need to see some proof and that proof comes in the form of bartender license.
A bartender license is a very useful thing to have around for a bartender to use. Owning one gives you certain benefits compared to those who do not have one. The benefits the license gives are:
- Grants a bartender easy entry and employment in bars and restaurants.
- Gives proof that that the holder of said license is a good and skilled bartender.
- Grants you certification to work in said state or place.
- Enables employers to get discounts on liquor liability insurance.
How to choose the best bartending schools in Wisconsin WI?
Now that you know why it is important to get a bartender license the next obvious thing to do is find a bartending school or an online bartending school and enroll it is bartender classes.
The US is the best place to pick a bartending school in WI that you could enroll in. The various bartending schools are all over across the US states. A thorough search online or call inquires can get you the info that you need.
Remember that each state has its requirements for enrolling in a bartender school and getting a license.
Before enrolling it would be beneficial for you to check out and see the school before entering. This way you can experience what a particular bartending school in Wisconsin offers while touring it. Here are some things to bear in mind when visiting a bartender school:
- Teaching materials like training manuals and textbooks should be of good quality. The books should be bound and printed professionally. Photocopied materials that are poor in quality are a no-no.
- See if you can take a look or at least walk through the school’s classrooms where the instructors conduct bartender classes. Expect a classroom to look like a real bar while being clean and neat. A classroom that is the opposite of what to expect is not a good place to learn the trade of bartending.
- No bartending student worth their salt should learn to bartend while sitting. The bartender classes are supposed to use proper supervision and professional guidance behind an actual bar.
- The classrooms must include the latest teaching equipment. Expect to see professional glassware, ice machines, blenders, cocktail units, soda gun dispensers and three compartment bar sinks.
- The setup of the school’s classrooms should be similar to a cocktail lounge and a bar. This setup is the trait of a bartending school with quality. The school must also have reception areas and professional offices for business purposes.
You can also inquire if there is an online bartending school option. By checking the quality each bartender school in your location, you can many options and choices to choose which school suits you fine.
Are there any bartending school requirements in Madison Wisconsin?
To enroll in a bartending school, you need to meet the requirements that they require. These conditions are also necessary to get a bartender license. Requirements are as follows:
- Educational levels – That can either be less than high school. Also required is an on-the-job training experience.
- Taking and completing an alcohol awareness class – The topics of the classes are about DUIs, serving minors’ alcohol, intoxication prevention, spotting fake IDs, and blood alcohol levels tests (BAL).
- Age requirement eligibility – Depending on each state the ages required are 18, 19, or 21.
Other requirements also include what you might call positive personal qualities. These conditions can make you fruitful and well-liked in your job.
- Good manners and great attitude – Considering that you are dealing with customers almost all day when working all day, good manners can come in handy. Remember that customers are the source of your paycheck and tips.
- Lots of patience – Customers can often be unruly, impatient, offensive and rude sometimes. The only way to face these kinds of attitude is to be patient. Being patient means that you will not be adding more to fuel to the fire or make the situation worse than before.
- Enduring stamina – A good bartender is a busy bartender, and a busy bartender has lots of things to do during his or her work. In turn, this can tire the bartender. Make sure that you have enough rest to carry out your job. Maintain your health as well since it helps in your endurance.
- Honesty in dealing with money – Honesty is a universal requirement for any job and bartending is no exception. Handling that much money can tempt you to “fiddle” with it. Nevertheless do not charge your customers more than is required, do not mess with the cashier box and give the client’s change correctly.
Even when you are schooling yourself in an online bartending school course, the requirements above are still applicable.
What are the costs of bartender schools in Wisconsin?
This factor would be the important part of your path to a career in bartending. It is no secret that getting a bartending course in bartender schools is a costly practice. However, if you are dead-set on pursuing your bartending career, then you have no choice but to spend money or at least get an average bartending job in Madison to save enough cash.
Bartending schools charge by the hour. Depending on what Bartender School in Wisconsin you are enrolling not the amount varies. Here are some examples:
- 40 hours = $695
- 40 hours = $400
- 10 hours = $250-$350
Also, make sure that you inquire about other costs besides the hourly rate.
As for Online Bartending School, the costs are on a flat rate. You are likely to spend $35, $55 or $75 for each course and pay extra for materials like printed book guides and bar equipment used for learning.
A bit of warning, be very careful when choosing an online course in bartending. Some are scams and others offer some packages with courses, but the lessons learned from such packages are woefully inadequate.
Going to a Bartending school is difficult and costly, but if you do well the entire experience can be worth it, and your dreams of bartending will finally come true.